Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cumin Chickpea Patties




Last night I made my favorite vegan meal that I have ever ate. I didn't feel guilty serving it to Geoff & he didn't even complain that there wasn't meat.
It was vegan, oil free, gluten free, & completely home made. I even made enough to freeze & have for future meals. I will admit that there are times that I make a dish that I have high expectations for and it is a total flop. It finds the trash or dog bowl before Geoff even gets home from work & I promise those recipes will never show face here.

I am still on cloud nine.

It all started here...


This is a bowl of dried chickpeas, soaking in water (over night). Why? Well you can thank Edible Perspective. She has a series she calls "Recipes for Mom" and her most recent was cooking beans. I have never cooked dried beans and I go through many of cans of beans a week. Between the wedding, the house, & life I have decided that I need to save money wherever I can & I have put myself on a budget. Beans were a great starting point.

For around $2 & a borrowed slow cooker (Thanks Mama Pink String!), I made 6 cups of cooked beans. This is about 4 cans and at over $2 a can for organic, no salt added, you can do the math.  I followed Edible Perspective's method but had to cook then for about an hour longer & didn't use salt or oil. I am on the search for Kombu to add next time.

Now back to dinner...

I love anything in the shape of a patty/burger except burgers obviously. The recipes are always easy to double, then freeze and have for many more meals.

Cumin Chick Pea Patties

1 Onion, diced
2 Tablespoons Cumin Seeds
1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
3 Cups Cooked Chick Peas
2 Tablespoons Tahini
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 Flax Egg (1 Tablespoon Ground Flax, 3 Tablespoons Water & let Gel for 5 Minutes)
1/2 Cup Brown Rice Flour (or all purpose)
S&P



Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Spray skillet with olive oil and saute onion over medium low heat until softened, around 7 minutes.


Add cumin seeds and cayenne pepper and continue to cook until fragrant, around two more minutes 


While onions are cooking, combine chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, flax egg, and brown rice flour in a food processor. Pulse until a paste forms. Add onions and spices and pulse until combined. Season to taste with Salt and pepper.


Form dough into 12 "patties" and sprinkle with addition cayenne pepper or paprika for color.


Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown on the outside.


Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes to set. Don't allow your fiance to walk in and think they are cookies and grab one off of the plate.



I served the patties along side sort grain brown rice and the most amazing  "creamed" kale. I have never had kale before and it has been on my list to try for a long time. I was slightly intimidated by the kale in the produce section so instead I bought a bag of frozen kale from Whole Foods. Guess what? There was a recipe on the bag that was for vegan creamed kale. I actually had all of the ingredients on hand so I gave it a shot. The cream part was raw cashews, sauteed onion, vegi broth, non dairy milk (I used rice), nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes as well as white miso and nutmeg. I didn't use the miso or nutmeg and it was delicious. You will have to go buy a bag and find the recipe as well. I WILL be buying more.

365 Everyday Value Blue Curled Kale

This is a great recipe to get back on track to eating healthy and trying new ingredients.
.live creatively well.
-nicole

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog!! This looks great I will have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete