Monday, September 5, 2011

I know I say I live for the weekend but I REALLY live for long weekends. The feeling of relaxing on a Sunday afternoon knowing that you still have one more day can't be beat. Life is good.

Geoff's favorite type of food is Mexican and that is 100% ok with me. For him anything wrapped in a tortilla = Mexican but with me it is the spices, the beans (more beans I know) & how easy dishes can become vegan/vegetarian.

I know I said I am going to try to use dry beans but we had a few cans of black beans in pantry & I couldn't let them go to waste :)

Simple Black Beans

2 cans cooked black beans, drained & rinsed (or 3 cups cooked)
3 green onions, diced (or 1/2 an onion)
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 jalapeno, diced (or more if you like it hot)
2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (or chopped tomatoes)
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro
Salt  & Pepper to taste

Over medium low heat, spray saute pan with olive oil and saute onion, pepper, jalapeno, and garlic until soft, around 7 minutes. 


Add spices, tomatoes and beans and cook until heated through. Finish with lime juice and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 


I enjoyed mine with left over brown rice and Geoff had a "burrito".


During the work week the simpler the meal the better. An additional way I used my home cooked chickpeas coming tomorrow!

.live creatively well.
-nicole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment