Monday, August 29, 2011

Simple Addicting Cashew Sauce

This weekend was once again spent here....


Watching Geoff save the day. 


As my heart breaks for those up north who were hit by Irene, down in Florida we lucked out big time. We just had some rain, lots of heat, and a good amount of wind. Hence the umbrella flying away.... 

The beach pictures were taken from my iPhone with the Hipstamatic app. I may have found this months after everyone else but it is a fun way to take pictures with a vintage vibe. 

Last week I made a sauce that took a surprising turn to the better. By surprising, I mean I was not sure how I felt about it until I poured it all over my plate & couldn't stop eating it. I have been allergic to peanuts for years (not deathly allergic but highly sensitive to them) and because of this I haven't ever had a peanut sauce. I always see peanut sauces on restaurant menus and all over the blog world and I finally decided I was going to give it a shot but with cashews. 

A trip to the health food store & many licks of the spoons this is what I came up with.

Simple Addicting Cashew Sauce

4 tablespoon roasted cashew butter 
2 tablespoon coconut milk
2 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
hot sauce to taste


Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender. I used my small food processor and it did not get smooth enough. I could still taste the grittiness from the cashew butter. Thin with water to reach desired consistency. 


Serve over sauteed vegetables and Asian noodles. I bought the wrong noodles. Even though, they said brown rice noodles they were 40% wheat flour so Geoff got all of the noodles. 



The toasted sesame oil gives this dish a very unique sweet/nutty taste that is addicting. I wish I would have made more. 

As you can see mushrooms are still making an appearance in my dinners. I am trying. I have found that chopping them very small, sauteing them with plenty of EVOO & S&P, and covering them in a sauce makes them easier to eat. They are still not in my top 10 foods. I hope they will get there. Someday. 

.live creatively well. 
-nicole. 


No comments:

Post a Comment