Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Dessert For Dinner?

Last night was just one of those nights that I HAD to have dessert and I DIDN'T want to have dinner first. This always seems to happen when I:
a.) have a spicy lunch 
b.) decide to cook Geoff something for dinner that I can't eat



Needless to say Geoff took me to get Mexican food for lunch after we went "shopping" (more on that soon!) and I decided to make Geoff a pizza for dinner. I always have wheat pizza dough in my freezer from Whole Foods because it comes in handy for so many different recipes, pizza included. Last night's pizza contained: mushrooms, scallions, red bell pepper, garlic, walnuts, ricotta cheese, Parmesan, and salt & pepper. Basically I cleaned out my fridge and it worked. He loved it & it was vegetarian :) Baby steps... 

So back to what I had for my dinner meal:

Pineapple Cashew Freezer Bars

Crust:
1 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
1 cup oats (I used gluten free)
2 tablespoons agave
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Filling:
1 cup raw cashews
2 tablespoons agave
2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
2 tablespoons water (possibly more)
2 cups pineapple (fresh or frozen)

plus oats (they were an after thought)

Process the crust ingredients in a food processor until large crumbs form.



Press 2/3's of the crust mixture into the bottom of a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. 


Top with 1 cup of the pineapple, diced. 


In a high speed blender combine the cashews, agave, coconut oil, water and 1 cup pineapple and blend until a creamy consistancy is formed. More water may be needed. Spread the filling mixture atop of the pineapple. 


Top with the remaining third of the crust mixture. 


Freeze until firm, about 2 hours if you can wait that long. I only waited about an hour, it was dinner meal time :) 


What isn't to love about this recipe? No baking time, no refined sugar, and no gluten (if you use gf oats).

The two worst parts? Getting every drop of the filling out of the blender without cutting yourself & waiting for it to harden in the freezer... life is rough. 

I may of had dessert for breakfast as well... Good thing I ran first :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment