Thursday, August 11, 2011

Flowers, Quails, & Millet

Yesterday I tried my shot at floral arrangements.... and I actually enjoyed myself. In the past I have been very good at picking up the phone and ordering flowers but that is not a very affordable method. Don't get me wrong, florist do a beautiful job but spending $50 for a basic arrangement? I love my family & friends but no thanks.

After I decided that this is what I was going to do (a friend of mine just bought a house!) I needed to find fresh cut flowers. I wasn't so lucky & wound up having to go to publix. In Atlanta there were some of the most amazing places to buy inexpensive fresh cut flowers but I couldn't find that here.

Look what Daily Garnish found. I am very jealous.

Anyways: I bought flowers, bought a vase & decided to get creative...



With the help of some wedding supplies and Mama Pink String's sewing machine this is what I came up with & I almost wanted to keep it for myself :) 

Instead of ungifting the flowers I made myself dinner. Has anyone had millet before? I have had a bag of Edens Organic Millet in my pantry for a while and decided to give it a try. I thought it was delicious and a great texture. After Geoff explained to me that you feed quail millet to fatten them up, he thought it was very good. Millet even has 5 grams of protein and since I know I don't always eat enough protein that is good news. 

The rest of dinner consisted of Mama Pink String's Green Beans & Rosemary White Beans. Both of these are so simple and hardly require a recipe. It was a day of winging it :) 

Mama Pink String's Green Beans

Green Beans, ends trimmed 
Cherry Tomatoes
Balsamic Vinegar
Olive Oil Spray
Salt & Pepper



Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Spray a baking pan with olive oil and toss on green beans and cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. 



Roast for about 20 to 25 minutes until beans are tender and start to brown. Once you remove them from the oven sprinkle with a few tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and enjoy.



Easy, easy, easy.... & guess what is even easier?

Rosemary White Beans

1 clove garlic, minced
1 sprig rosemary
1 can white beans, drained & rinsed (I used cannellini)
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper


Over low heat saute garlic and the rosemary spring until garlic softens and is fragrant. About three minutes. 


Add the drained and rinsed beans to the same pan and warm until heated through. You may need to add a tablespoon or two of water if they begin to dry out.


 Now for the final product:


Millet, Rosemary White Beans, and Mama Pink String's Green Beans :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment