Saturday, August 6, 2011

Crossfit & Protein

Today I finally took a friend up on her offer of me being her guest at Crossfit 92. Today I realized why I had been putting off going to Crossfit 92: I knew it would kill me but I knew I would absolutely love it.

I loved it. There is something about being challenged with group of individuals that are all working towards the same goal, soaking in sweat, listing to intense music & trying not to throw up the breakfast that you shouldn't have eaten as you were walking out the door.

Today's Group

For various reasons I am unable to sign up to participate just YET but I am hoping in a few months I will be able to join. I did Crossfit in Atlanta, but mostly participated in their 6am boot camp but I did love it then as well.

Good luck Crossfitters! 

I know that when I exert as much energy as I do when I go for a long run or participate in a intense gym session I need protein. Although I am vegan, it is easy to get adequate protein in my diet when I want to. The issue is a lot of times I make the choice not to. I do enjoy beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, and grains such as quinoa and even in large quantities vegetables such as broccoli have a decent protein percentage but sometimes I choose to skip the protein powder in my morning smoothie or leave beans out of my salad. I can tell when my body needs more protein and then I listen and the other night for dinner it wanted its protein fix. 

Red lentils came to the rescue. Red lentils have to be in my top ten for favorite foods along side roasted broccoli . I love to add them to soups or over cook them slightly and make them into a dip. The bellow recipe could be thinned to be soup or served with pita or carrot as a dip

Cumin Red Lentils 

1 cup red lentils
2 cups (or more) water with veg bullion cube or vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup diced tomatoes
salt to taste


In a saucepan, bring water and bullion to a boil and add turmeric and lentils.



Stir occasionally until lentils are tender and begin to loose their shape about 25 minutes. 

The first time I made this it took only 2 cups of water and 20 minutes but the second time it took about 2.5 cups of water and just over 25 minutes.

While lentils are cooking, heat the olive oil in a small pan over medium low heat. Add garlic, cumin seeds and crushed red pepper. Stir until fragrant, about three minutes. 


Once lentils are cooked stir in the garlic, cumin mixture and tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 



Cooked red lentils may not be the most attractive of dishes but trust me it was delicious. I enjoyed mine with brown rice and Geoff used pita chips. I just wish I would have made more for left overs. 

What is your favorite protein source? I would still have to say hummus :) I am still perfecting the basil, lemon hummus that I can't wait to share: garlic & pine nuts may have been added...





No comments:

Post a Comment