Friday, July 29, 2011

Packages & Pasta

I am noticing more and more that most of what I receive in the mail is bills & trash. Yes I receive the occasional catalog and wedding invitation but I now understand why my dad never rushed to get the mail or got excited about going through it. I think this means I am growing up.... 



BUT I have yet to receive a package that I wasn't excited about & today I ran by my house to bring Geoff lunch (he was mowing the lawn & deserved it) and guess what?! There were three packages sitting on the front porch! I can't wait to share them with you... later :) 


This weekend I am participating in a sprint triathlon. It is the second one I have done but it will be the first one on my new bike and my first ocean swim. The last one I did was a few months ago and I stuck to my training plan about 90% of the time but this time I have stuck to my plan only 30%. 




Getting sick, traveling for work, and trying to get settled in our house has caused me to deviate from my plan and this makes me nervous. So, in attempt to over compensate for my lack of training I thought I would come up with a light, lemon pasta recipe. A girl must carb load the ENTIRE week leading up to an event right? 


Roasted Grape Tomato & Pearl Onion Pasta


10 ounces pearl (or any small) onion
10 ounces grape (or cherry) tomatoes 
8 ounces pasta
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can white bean of choice, I used navy but garbanzo would have been better
5 basil leaves




Pre-heat boiler to high.
Spray a baking dish with olive oil, pour in tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper.




In a separate baking dish, place onions (leave paper-y wrappers on).




Roast both under broiler for 10-15 minutes. You want the onion papers to blacken in places and the tomatoes to soften.






While the vegetables are in the oven, prepare pasta according to the package direction. 


After removing the onions from the oven, allow to cool before removing the outer paper skin. I found this easiest by using a paring knife to slice off the root end and pinching the other end. 





Once the pasta has drained toss with tomatoes, onions, beans, olive oil, & lemon juice. 




Season to taste with salt and pepper. Before serving toss with torn basil leaves. 



The tomatoes and onions get very sweet, the lemon juice gives a nice kick and the basil adds a freshness that only basil can accomplish. Perfect for a summer night just add prosecco. We may have.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment