Friday, September 16, 2011

Tangerine Black Bean Quinoa Salad

This past Saturday we went to one of Geoff's best childhood friend's wedding. It was located about an hour away. I only knew a few people but for Geoff it was a high school reunion. Most of his friends moved away for school and well never came back. I was happy he got to see everyone and we had a great time. Its always nice to dress up :)


Banana Republic dress thanks to Momma Green Bean for Christmas last year.
For other wedding news, this time ours, my shoes arrived...




One of the many reasons I LOVE Zappos is their super fast & free shipping. Return shipping is even free. Thank goodness....

I love the idea of the shoes, I even loved how they fit but their was one huge issue. I don't want to show a picture in case they do have another pair (online said sold out) but they have flowers on the toes and the two flowers were completely different. The sizes of the flowers were inches different and one was starting to fray and for shoes at that price point (Thanks Momma Green Bean), I wasn't ok with that.

I shipped them back today and now the search continues....

This week has been crazy. I have had after work functions ever single night but still needed to come home and make dinner a few times. I made this quinoa salad earlier in the week and used it to top salads the rest of the week. I love when I make enough to make my life easier for a few days. Too bad I finished it last night.....

Tangerine Black Bean Quinoa Salad

1/2 cup quinoa cooked to package directions
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed (or home cooked!)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 jalapeno, seeds & ribs removed & diced
1/2 cup jicima (totally optional, I don't know if I would use it again)
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons tangerine juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/8 cup mixed seeds, toasted (I used pepitas & sun flower)
s & p to taste



One the quinoa has cooled, combine all ingredients, except the seeds,  in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Once plated, top with seeds, & avocado if you have some :)

Speaking of avocado, I read an article today in Ag News magazine that discussed head injuries from people walking under avocado trees and being hit by falling fruit. 

Another piece of interesting information was that the average Hass avocado (the dark, bumpy skin that is most popular) weighs 173 grams and has 306 calories while the Florida avocado (the variety we have) weighs 304 grams and has 339 calories. Makes me feel a little bit better :)


I have never had jicima before and had seen a few salad recipes with the ingredient so I thought I would give it a try. I am not a huge fan & I found myself picking out the pieces when I was eating the left overs. I highly recommend trying new ingredients, some you may love & some not so much but at least you tried.



This weekends goal is to finish what I started last weekend and finally finish painting the door jams at our house. One more coat of paint & then touching up where I didn't tape off .... Wish me luck! 

.live creatively well.
-nicole.

No comments:

Post a Comment